On Feb 20, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 08:21:02 -0500
> Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> In one section of an article I'm working on I have several
>> subsections that I want to call attention to without using headings.
>
> On a structured document, I'd think long and hard about using
> subsections without parent sections. That's just not right. It
> misrepresents the document's structure, and confuses appearance with
> structure.

They are subsections of a parent section. I just don't want to give headings to
them. The break in the flow of exposition and argument is not that severe.

>> Currently I'm using a centered 3" line between subsections. I don't
>> like the look. It's too intrusive.
>>
>> One possibility would be to add an extra line between subsections,
>> but I think I'd like to give the break a little more emphasis than
>> that.
>
> The prior two paragraphs don't really say exactly what you're doing. Do
> you mean the line is under the text below the (wrongly used)
> subsection, or something else?

What I mean is that on a line between two subsections there appears a centered
3" long line.

>> Any suggestions?
>
> Use/create environments and character styles that truly represent their
> meaning -- don't use environments made for other purposes just because
> they happen to look pretty good in the situation.

Not being argumentative. I'm genuinely curious. Not what I'm doing in this
case, but have done in others--my title is assigned the section environment,
because that makes it look like I want it to look and puts it where I want
it--but why not use an environment made for one purpose for another purpose if
it serves that purpose? [Probably have just committed total, unforgivable lyx
heresy there. ;-)]

That aside, the suggestion is well-taken--at this point at least when there is
no environment that suits my purpose. I'm newbie enough, though, that it's
something I will need to study up on.

Thanks,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA