Thanks for the reply.

So far what I have is:

john@ubuntu:~$ tlmgr
 /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux/tlmgr: missing action; try --help if
you need it.

john@ubuntu:~$ which tlmgr
/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux/tlmgr

And strangely enough this works

john@ubuntu:~$ tlmgr --gui
This may take some time, please wait!
You don't have permission to change the installation in any way, specifically,
the directory /usr/local/texlive/2011/tlpkg/ is not writable.
Please run this program as administrator, or contact your local admin.
Completed.

I get a gui interface,and can access a repository  but with no update rights.
Okay this makes sense,, clearly I need root privileges but

john@ubuntu:~$ sudo tlmgr --gui
[sudo] password for john:
sudo: tlmgr: command not found

Probably I just need another way to be root.  Since I'm the only user I would
have thought sudo would work but I really am a newbie at Linux.

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada

FREE 3D MARINE AQUARIUM SCREENSAVER - Watch dolphins, sharks & orcas on your
desktop!