On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:57:44 +0000 (UTC)
Paul A. Rubin <ru...@msu.edu> wrote:

> I think this is a problem with Evince.  I just tried this (linking to
> both a PDF and an ODS file).  LyX exported my document correctly
> (using pdflatex).  Opened in Acrobat Reader, both links work
> correctly.  Opened in Evince, both links produce the error message
> you got.
>
> Paul

Hi,

Tried with Ocular and Acrobat Reader and both had errors. Both were
"file not found" errors.
"Firefox can't find the file
at / /media/Nano/Documents/tcm_files/foo.xls"
It seems that lyx maybe
passing an incorrect file path . When the link is clicked on in
the pdf, Acrobat Reader asks for permission before opening a linked file
and gives a file path:
"file:%20/media/Nano/Documents/tcm_files/foo.xls"
Here is the file path placed in the address bar of firefox by Acrobat
"file:/// /media/Nano/Documents/tcm_files/foo.xls"

Opening the .xls file (if it could find it) in firefox by Acrobat is no
problem firefox just opens it in Libreoffice. I tested this by opening
the .xls file from the "File" dialogue in firefox.

Also for completeness, www links in the lyx created pdf work perfectly
as they should opening a web page in firefox.

Regards,

Alasdair