The LaTeX->XML tools I've tried leave me... sad.  They tend to drop
some things.  For example: vertical space, which becomes a simple
newline in a paragraph's text.  It would be better to translate
vertical space into <vspace/> elements -- that'd be much, much more
useful in XSLT than embedded newlines!

So I'm wondering: why couldn't LyX export to XML using a native schema
that preserves as much LyX markup as possible, indeed, if not all of
it?

How does LyX represent documents internally?  If it does it in an
objectified form then it should be fairly straightforward to walk the
document tree and emit XML, no?  Or, looking at .lyx files, maybe it
should be possible to script a simple LyX->XML conversion.... has
anyone tried this before?

Nico