My problem is not primarily with creating new documents.  It is mainly with
getting existing LyX documents (that have been transferred to my new
computer) to appear with the references in them when LyX creates pdf files
from them.  At present the pdf versions of these documents have no
references at the end, and every citation in the text is replaced with a
question mark inside of square brackets.  I have been partly successful in
doing what Ray suggests with NEW documents:

Start LyX, create a new empty document, insert > list > bibliography,
select your four bib files, press OK, now type something and press the
Bib icon, you should be able to select an entry from all four bib
files. Now preview the document. You should see "foo [n]" or "foo
(xyz, d)", and just one entry in the references. If you cannot
reproduce this, you are looking at a bug, most probably in your
installation.

However,
(1) I can't add more than two of my four .bib files to any new or existing
document.  The program simply ignores the third and fourth.
(2) When I do succeed in adding one or two .bib files to an existing
document, some but not all of the citations in the body of the document
connect to the cited reference, even though that reference is in the .bib
files that have been added to the document.  These renegade citations still
show up as [?] in the pdf.