I have used the following environment with good results:

\newenvironment{sidebar}{\def\FrameCommand{\color[gray]{0.8}\vrule width 5pt \hspace{10pt}\color{black}}\MakeFramed{\advance\hsize-\width\FrameRestore}}{\endMakeFramed}

then in the text you can use

\begin{sidebar}
\end{sidebar}

and you obtain a grey sidebar for your text.

Francesco