On 10/29/2012 08:13 AM, Rob Oakes wrote:
Dear Group,

This is more of a LaTeX question rather than a LyX question, but I know
there are many LaTeX experts here, too, so here goes.

I'm currently working with a set of fluids equations which have both
velocity and volume terms. Given how frequently the variable v appears
in both (by convention), I would like to somehow distinguish them in my
notes. (Right now, I've been using an uppercase V for volume and
lowercase v for velocity.)

I've seen several texts use a variant of the V character, however, to
make the distinction more clear. Any idea how this might be done? What
is the best way to use a variant character in a math expression, or is
there a standard LaTeX symbol for volume? (Regular V appears to be used
for velocity, variant V for volume.)

I've already looked through the general LaTeX symbols list and the LyX
menus, but wasn't able to find the symbols used in the text.

Try looking here:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/info/symbols/comprehensive/symbols-a4.pdf

rh