On 30/10/2012 3:35 a.m., Guenter Milde wrote:
On 2012-10-29, Rob Oakes wrote:
Dear Group,

This is more of a LaTeX question rather than a LyX question, but I know
there are many LaTeX experts here, too, so here goes.

I'm currently working with a set of fluids equations which have both
velocity and volume terms. Given how frequently the variable v appears
in both (by convention), I would like to somehow distinguish them in my
notes. (Right now, I've been using an uppercase V for volume and
lowercase v for velocity.)

$V$ and $v = ds/dt$ or $u = ds/dt$ are the symbols recommended by the
IUPAP (International Union of Pure and Applied Physics) for volume and
velocity respectively.

Some mathematical fonts have $v$ differ from \itshape{v} in order to
prevent mixup with $\nu$.

Günter

$\upsilon$ gives a "fatter" $v$.

Andrew