On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 16:36 +0100, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Alan R. Bleier <ar...@cornell.edu> wrote:
> > I agree completely with Trevor.
> >
> I completely disagree with Trevor. Hitting double space [to get a full
> stop] is as unnatural and unhelpful as it gets. This may make some
> sense for a mobile platform, but is utterly unneeded on the desktop. I
> very much hope that LyX doesn't go the way of the iThingies.

It isn't just unhelpful, it's also wrong. From a typographical,
stylistic, and grammatical point of view (see Grammar girl's take, who
also cites the Chicago Manual of Style, the AP stylebook, and MLA to
back herself up [1]).

One of the things I particularly like about LyX is that it forces me
into structure. I've invested enough time to create templates, modules,
and classes for my work. LyX makes my writing fit into those classes,
which saves me lots and lots of time. Little things, like not typing two
spaces, are a feature as far as I'm concerned.

If I need the ability to type multiple spaces, this can be created via a
special style. LyX code, for example, allows control over white space;
which means it's there when I need it.

I would much prefer that LyX default to the stylistically accepted way
of things, with other methods available via styles. Which is to say, I
like how it works now.

[1]
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/spaces-period-end-of-sentence.aspx