On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Bill Foote <bi...@jovial.com> wrote:
> > Also, I learned to type on a manual typewriter in the mid-70's when I
> > was in 4th grade; that muscle memory ain't going away any time soon :-)
> >
> > I know I could hack the code myself,
> >
> I would be surprised. TeX simply ignores multiple spaces. If you want
> to change this, you may need to look into hacking the TeX engine
> itself (assuming you export to LaTeX). You could go the way of very
> ugly hacks such as adding a protected space to each normal space, but
> again this seems like a very bad idea. See [1] for some discussion of
> this point.

Actually, I think Bill meant he could hack the LyX code to get rid of the
warning, not the TeX engine to allow it.

I would agree with him: that warning is annoying to any user who (1) is old
enough to have internalized the "2-spaces after period" rule and (2) uses
LyX more than occasionally. A preference setting would work great, I think.
Or alternatively, a rule that disable the warning after a fixed amount of
repetitions(20, say).

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org