 From: Jacob Bishop <bishop.ja...@gmail.com>
To: John Kane <jrkrid...@yahoo.ca>
Cc: stefano franchi <stefano.fran...@gmail.com>; Lyx List
<lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Friday, January 4, 2013 1:10:39 PM
Subject: Re: Biblatex with Lyx and eventually with APA6 style

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM, John Kane <jrkrid...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

Hi Jacob,
>This looks great but so far I cannot even get my very simple example that ran
>for you and Stefano to work. and I'm left gazing woefully at your pdf file.  I
>do like the use of &!
>I wonder if you or Stefano could have another look my files and see what
>stupid thing I' doing?

John,

It looks like Stefano might have beat me to the punch, but I will send this
anyway. This is what I did to make it work. I am on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine
(at the moment...I also use Ubuntu).

        1. I downloaded biber from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/biblatex-biber/files/latest/download then
extracted the biber.exe file and copied it to C:\Program Files\MiKTeX
2.9\miktex\bin. Then, I added C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin to the
system path by right-clicking computer->properties, then environment variables.
Find the variable PATH, put a semi-colon after everything already there, and
append C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin.
        2. I downloaded the biblatex.module file, from
http://wiki.lyx.org/uploads/BibTeX/biblatex.module and installed it by copying
it into my local lyx directory, C:\Users\Jacob\AppData\Roaming\LyX2.0\layouts.
        3. I downloaded your files from the latest email (biblatex1.lyx and
biblatex_style_guide.bib). These were downloaded to the same directory,
C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads.
        4. I opened LyX, and under tools->preferences->output->LaTeX, in the
Bibliography generation selected "Custom" from the dropdown menu. The options
box changed to a command box, and I typed biber into the box. I clicked save
and closed LyX.

        5. I opened your LyX file, biblatex1.lyx. I expanded the note, and
clicked on BibTeX Generated Bibliography. When the dialogue came up, I deleted
the entry, lyx\biblatex_style_guide. I clicked add, then browse. I found the
downloaded file, biblatex_style_guide, and clicked on it, then on add and then
ok.
        6. I went to document->settings->LaTeX Preamble, and changed the second
line from \addbibresource{biblatex1.bib} to
\addbibresource{C:/Users/Jacob/Downloads/biblatex_style_guide.bib}. Then, I
clicked ok.
        7. Then, I clicked on the little googly eyes button, and voila! The pdf
came out properly.
Obviously, there will be differences if you're on Linux, but you ought to be
able to figure out the differences. In particular, step 1 will not be nearly so
painful.

Jacob