On 3 Jan 2013, at 15:35, Gour wrote:

> I read the whole thread and http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/8440 looks
> interesting.

maybe cc yourself on ticket to indicate your interest, but existing document
comparison produces poor results as noted here:

http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/6889

so you might want to comment on that one / cc as well.

> After deciding to use LyX as the tool for writing manual for software
> application which will be kept under DVCS (not git, but most probably
> Fossil), I just wonder what are your experiences with different diff
> tools?
>
> In one blog post, I saw that Emacs' ediff was much better thant e.g
> KDiff, Vim's diff...
> (http://rvb.mytanet.de/comparing-latex-files-with-latexdiff.shtml)
> but considering that so far I only keep my own docs under DVCS, I'm
> interested what one can expect when diff-ing LyX documents in order to
> try to provide merge of changes?

line based diff works poorly out of the box with justified latex paragraphs as
noted in that blog. This problem is actually somewhat less severe with lyx
since it automatically breaks lines after every period in the text and where
any change of formatting occurs. In my experience I have found built-in diff
merge with git works perfectly well. If you want more fine grained display of
differences (the patches will be the same) see e.g.:

http://idnotfound.wordpress.com/2009/05/09/word-by-word-diffs-in-git/

I imagine fossil may have a similar option to --color-words.

Best,

Greg.