but the same version of Lyx under Lubuntu 12.10 64 bits omits this useful note.  Both systems run TexLive 2012.
Since under (L)ubuntu the tlmgr (the package manager for TexLive) is not normally available, and since URWPalladio does not appear in the ubuntu repositories, I could not use it.

EK

On 03/06/2013 11:44 AM, Guenter Milde wrote:
On 2013-03-05, ehud.kap...@gmail.com wrote:

[-- Type: text/plain, Encoding: 8bit --]

I suspect that the Palatino that appears in the font list is NOT the
same as Palatino Linotype, especially in terms of spacing-- it takes
less space than Georgia, which uses less space than Helvetica or Arial.
AFAIK, the Palatino font option in the LyX font list (without
"use non-TeX fonts") corresponds to

\usepackage{mathptmx}

from the PSNFSS LaTeX standard package. This should work in all
non-corrupt LaTeX installations. It is an extended version of URW Palla*
with real small-caps and some basic math support.

When I try to use the URW Palladino that appears in the list, I get the
error message: Font-not-found, even though I have TeX gyre and other
packages installed that say they use URW Palladino.
TeX gyre Paladio is based on URW Pal* but incorporates this in its own font
file(s). I.e. installing this does not make URWs palladingsbums available
under this name.

OTOH, the font selection dialogue should not let you select a font that is
not installed on your system. Could you please try with a simple document
containing just ASCII? Maybe some non-ASCII letters are not supported
without LyX knowing.

Günter

--
Ehud Kaplan, Ph.D.
Jules and Doris Stein Research to Prevent Blindness Professor