> No you don't. Leave all fonts at default setting. cm-super will select the
right glyphs
> automatically for you. (The default are the different shapes of the Computer
modern fonts and
> CM-super is their vector replacement.)
>
> If you really want to use another font than Computer modern, then use ttf/otf
fonts via the docment
> font settings option "use-non TeX fonts". For more info abot this option, see
the LyX userGuide,
> sec. 3.7 "Fonts and Text Styles"
> All fonts that you can select via the document settings are installed. The
next LyX version supports
> a few more fonts, but thanks to XeTeX you can use nowadays every font you like
as TTF or OTF font.

Uwe, thanks for clarifications.

But now I am wondering if I got you right on
the implications of your answers?

Suppose, a novice (as myself) wants to prepare an aesthetically
looking PDF, with vector fonts, of a multilingual document. He
leans to enjoy the conveniences of LyX/MiKTeX. Then he has at
least 3 options:

1.
Chose the "TeX"-fonts and rely on the wits of LyX/MiKTeX.
If, say, a Cyrillic script is in heavy presence, then install
'cmcyr'+'cm-super' font packages. That leaves a freedom to vary
the family (Serif|Sans|Typewriter) and many other attributes.
But not the "design" -- that part of "look and feel" which is not
captured by the above attributes. This locks the user within a
single font "design" -- CM (Computer Modern);

2.
Suppose there is a need to switch between several designs
(say, in order to convey a touch of other times and places).
      There is still an option to stay with the "TeX-fonts".
For instance, a Cyrillic package PSCyr offers several designs
of Postscript fonts -- Academy, Handbook, College, Antiqua,
Lazurski, and a number of others.
      But then the author is all by himself, no lifeline from
LyX/MiKTeX. There is a hairball of issues revolving around the
font management infrastructure (NFSS ?) behind the TeX, LaTeX
and MiKTeX. The downsides:

  2.1. Tons of reading, learning and experimenting. Quite
       a feat of heavy-lifting for a novice;
  2.2. The entire idea does not sit well with the automation
       of MiKTeX. Hand-made changes in various files are useless
       for they will be wiped off come a next update "on-the-fly";
  2.3. Will the PSCyr fonts coexist peacefully with CM and, possibly,
       yet another package within same document? That might require
       a local stand-apart font installation, at the very least.
       Perhaps, some non-trivial TeX-programming, too.

3.
Alternatively, one could opt to leave a scary tight underworld
of "TeX-fonts". And step into a wide open sunny land of Open Type
Fonts available through XeTeX/LuaTeX. The gains:

  3.1. Plenty of beautiful OTF/TFF fonts preinstalled on Windows;
  3.2. Even more of mighty flexible fonts are available from other
       sources. Linux Libertine is a notable example (thanks, Maria).
  3.3. Switching between the different font designs any time any
       place is incredibly easy, just take a look at a sample at
       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XeTeX#Example

4.
Given (1,2,3), what would be a compelling reason to prefer
the Tex-fonts + pdfLatex over XeTeX/LuaTeX?

5.
More specifically, if one chooses to go with XeTeX  (or LuaTeX),

  5.1. Would that cost one any problems with typesetting a math?
  5.2. Would there be incompatibilities with the "pre-XeTeX"
       packages? Would one lose an access to some irreplaceable
       legacy code?

I would appreciate your insight and opinion.

Best regards,

Leonid