Hi John,

I have not upgraded to 2.0.6 yet, but even on 2.0.5, I have never been able
to get the apa6 class working without specifying more information than what
you have included here (in the second file, "test.of.APA6.lyx"). Adding a
title and author makes this work for me with LyX 2.0.5. As far as I
understand, this is not unique to apa6, and is one of the main reasons for
including a template. With a template you should be able to have a working
document "out of the box" which you can then modify by adding your own
content.

Does the template that comes with LyX 2.0.6 work for you?
Does it work for you to create a new document if you include a title,
author, and body text? (it does for me)

As for the knitr stuff goes, I have never used R with LyX before, but it is
something I am planning on looking into soon. So, any errors specific to
that will be more difficult (for me) to make sense of, but I will try if
the problems you are experiencing persist.

I hope this helps.

Jacob