"Daniel CLEMENT"  wrote in message news:1372492384.4099.13.camel@m6400...

Even stranger, I have no tlmgr either. I can't locate udmap or tlmgr in
my Debian package manager (Synaptic). Is there a way to do this update
job from within LyX, or do I have to go down to the TeX utilities?

Hi,

Sorry, I thought you used vanilla TeX live. I noticed that Ubuntu uses a way old version of TeX live and I went on the Internet and installed TeX live vanila, it worked way better than the Ubuntu version which was based on a TeX live beta. Maybe you could use TeX live vanilla, it could solve some of your problems, present and future (you would also get all the tools of a 'real' TeX installation.
I am sorry if i cannot me of much more help.

Kind regards,
Hugo