On 04/09/2013 9:45 AM, Rudi Gaelzer wrote:
Ok, I know I should've first read the whole AMSmath documentation before
asking this but... this is faster...

Say I have a bunch of equations within a labeled subequations
environment. Something like (in LaTeX):

\begin{subequations}

\label{eq:eq1}

\begin{equation}

<Some math>

\end{equation}

<Some text>

\begin{align}

<Some math> \\

<Some math> \\

<Some math>

\end{align}

\end{subequations}

... \ref{eq:eq1} ...

The equations are all labeled with the same number and with the roman
subnumbers from a through d.

As long as I'm aware, I can only \ref{} the main label. I can not make
an automatic reference to a particular subequation unless I label it as
well.

If I don't do it, I have to write the roman subnumber manually. However,
if I later on insert another equation within the subequations, I'll have
to scan the whole document and fix the subnumbers in all cross references...

Does anyone know of a way to automatize this process? Without having to
label individual eqs, I mean. Perhaps there's a package in CTAN that I
don't know of. And does LyX support it?

Why wouldn't you label the subequation that you specifically want to reference? That's exactly how you should do it, I think. That's how LaTeX handles this problem. Especially if you are worried about perhaps inserting or removing subequations before the referenced one.

Cheers,
Julien