On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 12:46:23 +0000 (UTC)
Ben <mike1...@icloud.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I use Lyx to write novels and factual books (some of which contain
> photos). I have a query regarding the use of child documents and a
> master document.
>
> What characteristics of the master document are given to a child
> document associated with it?

Hi Ben,

Lots of people have given you good answers to your exact question, so
I'm giving some info not responsive to your question, but something
which you might (or might not) find helpful.

I regularly write 100K word books with several images, and I author
them as a single file, not master/children. My 5 year old, 4GB RAM
"Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200  @ 2.53GHz" computer has absolutely
no problem handling such books as one file, either while editing or
while compiling. I just tested compile on this computer, for my
"Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist", over 100K
words with several images, and it compiled and displayed in the Evince
PDF viewer in 26 seconds, which I find perfectly practical for my
authoring duties.

I've been on the LyX-Users list for 12 years now, and the whole time
I've seen regular questions about why some aspect of master/child
didn't work. I even tried it once back around 2002, and it failed in
several ways I didn't feel like troubleshooting, because even with the
computers back then, LyX handled "Troubleshooting Techniques of the
Successful Technologist" quickly and well.

Obviously, if you're splitting the book up between several authors, you
have to master/child it. And if the book were 500K words with
commensurate graphics and you weren't running on a 3+Ghz 4 core with
16GB of RAM, you might have to master/child it. But LyX is amazingly
efficient with big documents, and, speaking for myself, I've found it
easier to edit the whole book as one file. Of course, YMMV.

Thanks,

SteveT