On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 09:39:32 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

>    Has anyone prepared all the normal front-matter for a book that
> will be printed? I'm preparing a book to be provided students in a
> short course that I'll be offering and will have them printed and
> bound by a small-run printer.
>
>    I know there's a title page, half-title page, and others whose
> names I do not know. I'm looking for guidelines on what should be
> included in a complete PDF file and just how to prepare all this
> using the KOMA-script book class.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich

Acknowledgements, dedication, title page, copyright page, about the
author, table of contents, and sometimes "how to use this book" or
"about this book."

Those are the ones I can think of, standing on one foot. I'd suggest a
trip to the bookstore, take 4 or 5 books from your approximate genre,
and look what they provide in the frontmatter, and how they do it. For
instance, I personally don't provide a brand new page for each one.

One more thing: In the old days I recommended ERT fingerpainting the
frontmatter. Due to the advent of flowing text eBook formats like ePub
and Mobi, I no longer make that recommendation, because doing so is the
kiss of death when converting to flowing text. Instead, I recommend
making new styles for each appearance in the frontmatter. I personally
don't use chapters for the title page, acknowledgements, etc, because
chapters are a special thing used in the mainmatter. I just make new
environments for acks and deds and title page and the like.

HTH,

SteveT