Stefano,

so she can actually edit the files?  Cool.  I was wondering if the
config run (using luatex) would work.

Now what you also can do to cooperate, is to use SVN (see Additional
Features Section 7.2), which is really, really cool.

I have myself some experience with remoteness, being an Obstetrician
and Gynaecologist in Africa, though in Windhoek connectivity is
starting to become useful.

What I do between my house and the practice (and of course the
laptop) is something like this :-)-O

sudo tlmgr install `ssh USER@HOST.DOMAIN tlmgr list|grep ^i|awk
'{print $2}'|sed s/://g`

That you can easily install into crontab and or whatever scheduler
you like and run this on a number of hosts, so you need to only
update one.  If you can not predict where changes are happening one
will have to figure out a more complicated round robin scheme :-)-O

But you can configure the working BasicMacTeX and then tar the
update /usr/local/texlive.  Put all on a stick, DHL it over there
and she must install and then untar over /usr/local/texlive to bring
it up to what is required.

Mabye someone writes a shell script for her to take care of the
command line stuff, but that's not a big deal.  And, if the
university has serious Mac programming resources, someone can make
an installer for her that does all of this with a click.

greetings, el