Great, thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at TreeLine. I'll
also look at Org-mode (I don't use Emacs but I'm always interested in
trying new tools). I should have mentioned that a lot of the books I
read have math in them and I enjoy using LyX to write math-related
notes. I guess I'll have to make some sacrifices either way I decide
to go.

Best,

Scott