Am 27.03.2014 14:09, schrieb Cee Van Houten:

Yet i was trying to create a table
today which was a little bit to wide.
Lyx didnt warn me it was to wide nor
did it make any corrections itself.

This is because the table width cannot be calculated by LyX. This can only be done by LaTeX itself. For example the font size, the font itself, the thickness of table lines the space between table lines and the text can change the width in the output.

However LyX's EmbeddedObjects manual explains how the exact table width can be calculated, see its Appendix D. As the exact calculation is much too complicated for daily usage, simply set the table colums to percentages of the column width. For example if you have a table with 3 columns and each column should have the same width, set each column to a width of 30 col%. I attached an example. So the rule of thumb is to set each column to a slightly lesser width than geometrically calculated (30% for 3 cols, 22% for 4 cols, 47% for 2 cols etc).

and after searching the manual all i
could come up with was this:

\backslash\mbox{columnwidth}
=3\, W_{\mathrm{Spalte}}+2\csot0,75\,
W_{\mathrm{Spalte}}+\backslash\mbox
{arrayrulewidth}
\phantom{=\,}+5\left(2\backslash\mbox
{tabcolsep}+\backslash\mbox{arrayrulewidth}\right)
=4,5\, W_{\mathrm{Spalte}}+62,4\,\mathrm{pt}
W_{\mathrm{Spalte}}
=\frac{\backslash\mbox{columnwidth}
-62,4\,\mathrm{pt}}{4,5}

From where do you have this code? (What section of the EmbeddedObjects manual and what is your LyX version?)

> because MS word is much easier on that one

Really? Show me how to create a table that has automatically a page break when there iot enough space on the page, where you can define a different table header/footer line for each page te table is printed etc. LyX's longtable feature is unique I would say. Show me how to let tables automatically float to a good-looking position in the document. This floating concept is one of the major advantages compared to Word, LibreOffice etc. LyX is not perfect but you will notice that the working speed you can get with LyX will be greater than with Word.
Also check out the new LyX 2.1 that comes out around April, 5:
http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/NewInLyX21
we have improved the table handling a bit.

regards Uwe