On June 5, 2014 at 18:22:45 PM, Jacob Bishop (bishop.ja...@gmail.com) wrote:
On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Steve Burnham <dan...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a BibTeX generated list of references that is doing one entry
incorrectly.  As sen in the attached picture there is a period being placed
after the question mark.  I need to remove this period

I realize this does not directly solve what you want to do, but I believe it is
relevant. Are you *sure* that you need to remove the period? I believe it's
worth asking. I have on occasion worked hard attempting to do something
(sometimes succeeding, sometimes not) with a package that I actually did not
need to do. As an example, I was very frustrated recently because I *needed* to
place the full author list in the text for an article which had seven authors.
I wrestled around with it for a while before finally checking the APA manual.
It turns out, you're actually not supposed to list all seven authors in the
text, but instead use et al., even for the first instance they are cited. This
was a bit weird to me, but it turned out that what I *needed* to do did not
actually *need* to be done. I know that APA says you put a period after the
title of the article. This rule technically holds, even if there is a question
mark in the title, and even if it looks weird. I don't know about vancover, but
I think it's worth checking. Do you really *need* to remove that period?

Jacob

This is a good question and one I actually had to ask myself this afternoon.  I
had to turn in a draft to the thesis editor today in order to comply with their
deadlines so I was trying to figure out if the period could be there.
Ultimately, I never figured it out but what I do know is I have to make
whatever formatting changes my thesis editor tells me to and that was one of
them.  So I actually decided to just go with the period and try to justify it,
but when I got on the computer to print I noticed there was Adobe Acrobat Pro
available which lets me edit pdf files.  So I just opened up the thesis
document and deleted the period manually before printing.  I never replied with
my fix hoping there is/would be a proper fix for the issue.  I’m sure there is
one (it seems there always is) but it is probably more work than it is worth as
opposed to just opening it up in Acrobat pro.  Citations can be a real pain
though, I’m sure you realized that quickly writing your thesis and dissertation.

-Steve