On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 1:46 PM, umair durrani <umairdurr...@outlook.com>
wrote:

> I have asked this question on tex.stackexchange but got no answer so far. I
> am new to LaTeX and LyX. For writing my thesis I got 2 files from
> university: uw_masters_thesis.sty and sample_thesis.tex. The sample file
> contains \usepackage{uw_masters_thesis} in preamble. If I use LaTex I
> simply put both files in same directory and include child documents by
> using \include or \input in the sample_thesis.tex document.
> The embedded objects manual in LyX suggests to specify the Document Class of
> master document in child document. But in my case the document class is Report
> (Standard Class). In my understanding, what uses the style file is the
> \usepackage{uw_masters_thesis} in preamble.
> I am creating thesis chapters (child documents) in lyx without specifying
> any thing in Document Stettings. I want them to use the style provided by
> .sty file and finally include all of them in master document. How can I
> achieve this in Lyx. Please suggest a step by step solution.

It's a little bit tough to provide a step-by-step solution because I'm not
sure you've described your problem completely enough. Nonetheless, I will
make some assumptions and do my best. From the title of your message, you
appear to be asking about how to include child documents in LyX. I will
answer that first, but I don't think that is actually the main problem you
are having. I think the main problem you are having has to do with creating
a layout file for your thesis template.

*How to include child documents in LyX:*
This is described in Section 7.2 of the Embedded Objects manual.
1. Go to insert->File->Child Documents. If you select "include", then this
will do the same as the LaTeX \include, and if you choose \input, it will
do the same as the LaTeX \input which you mentioned above.
2. Select the same document class for child documents as the master
document. To do this, go to Document->Settings->Document Class, and select
the appropriate document class.

Please do NOT use your university template when attempting this for the
first time. Use one of the built-in classes, like the default article
class. If you've got that working fine, then the problem does not lie in
the inclusion of child documents, but in the use of your custom class file.
I sense that's your real problem.

*How to get your custom university thesis template to work:*
This has been asked here before, and I will answer specific questions once
you read the previous posts and wiki on how to do that. The wiki page on
this can be found at:
http://wiki.lyx.org/Examples/Thesis
One recent post from the mailing list is:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.general/82099

Good luck, and please check back after trying the above.

-Jacob