On 26/09/2014 5:07 PM, Benedict Holland wrote:
Wouldn't that change the default for every document using that
particular style though? If this is only for one journal, modification
of style files would not only be overkill, but would impact future work
in unexpected ways. To get the desired results, it would be best to
limit it to document specific changes. For that, configuring biblatex or
biber or biblatex using biber would be the much more prefered approach.
A philosophy of "don't change more than you need to" is demanded when
using lyx and latex, at least to me. That said, yes. Changing the format
of how bibtex writes out the references in the document would work but
from a technical standpoint, that does far more than just change the
reference output for a single document so would best be avoided.

~Ben

Your concern is true only if one saves the modified file under the same name as the original and somewhere in the tex tree. Good practice dictates that if one modifies a style file, then a different name is also given to it, as I did. And one can decide whether to have this new style available in the tex tree or to keep it local, since it is sufficient to have it saved in the current document's directory.

I can understand that bibtex has deep issues which are only really addressed by moving on to a different system, but the concern you raise does not appear to me to be one of them.

Cheers,
Julien