Hi Steve

Under other circumstances, say if we lived in the same country, I would
post you the machine and the REX to you, no questions asked. But given the
distance and the age of the M100, I dont think it would be good for the
computer or my nerves. As I would be having kittens, wondering if it was
going to get lost in the post. Plus there is the matter of shipping, I can
see posting the M100 would be expensive.

This is a totally new platform to me, while I know what a binary is, I've
not really encountered HEX files before. Aside from HEX archives on the
Macintosh Plus. My understanding of ROMs and checksums is not shall we say
that good, in fact it's down right rubbish! The closest I've come to
playing with ROMS is on a BBC Micro computer and even then i was only
fitting them. So I think it is fair to say your knowledge on this subject
surpassed mine in leaps and bounds. Which is probably why your building the
REX and I'm not :-P

I am very happy to post you the REX, as I would like to know what the heck
is going on myself. Is my machine faulty? is the REX faulty? Are all
European M100's built like mine? Could the REX not working in my machine,
be an indication of an inherit incompatibility between US and EU models? Am
I going to struggle with other expansion modules?
One way or the other its all a process of learning more about these little
machines.  I've done a little research on EU M100's and found another guy
here in the UK who has a machine like mine. I think I sent you a link /
picture of it a while back. So we at least know mine isn't a one off. The
guy in question was trying to fit something to his machine but discovered
his mobo didn't match up with the US machines.

The REX is installed like it is shown in the wiki page, with the two lines
on the PCB lining up with the gaps in the plastic surround. I wont deny
getting stung with the extra charges really wasn't great, since then it's
sort of felt like everything that could go wrong HAS. It's been a struggle
to keep up my enthusiasm but I do like using this little computer, it's
leagues better then the Amstrad NC100 and other machines of that ilk.

If you want to email me your address, I will sort out sending you the REX,
is there any point me posting you the new ROM as well?

Cheers
James

--
My retro tech blog and general ramblings
http://bytemyvdu.wordpress.com/