I've successfull had data come down this null cable using mcomm inXP  and
mincomp in linux. Also while the REX was installed, i was able to download
a rom image without problem using the DISK feature in TS-DOS.

Yes I'm using pressing F2, I tried both options that are listen when you
press D. The latter of which, is to open TEXT, press F2 and enter COM:
98n1e. Doesn't work, nothing is coming down.