After I posted that comment on Small C, I realised there's undoubtedly a CP/M version of Small-C. An advantage of doing it in CP/M instead of native M100 mode is you have about 55KB in CP/M to host the compiler, source & output files, whereas in M100 mode, less than 32KB. Unless of course you went the Optrom route, but that would need a rewrite of Small-C.

In fact you can have more than 55KB, you can clobber the CCP (which programs like DDT.COM and MBASIC do to give them max RAM), this would give you 57KB. But wait... there's even more! You could even clobber the BDOS and access BIOS directly. This way you can still do screen/keyboard IO, plus disk sector-level editing. This would free up 61KB! What you could do with all that? ;-)

These RAM sizes should stay the same with CP/M on a real M100 - I've kept some space for extra hardware routines.

Philip