Hang in there Josh,

I had this with one of mine. Turned out to be "solder balls" that formed
from the solder paste I was using under the CPLD. I couldn't see them till
I pulled the chip. I'd recommend visually inspecting everything with high
magnification - use your phone or digital camera if nothing else - and then
test each neighboring pin with a meter for bridges. If that's all clear
test the programming headers back to the appropriate CPLD pins for
continuity.

As a good friend always reminds me - "success lies on the far side of
failure" so fail quickly and fail often if you want to get ahead.

Brian