I hadn't found CloudT before but that is very cool.

I got the precompiled VirtualT binary working on Fedora 27 by downloading
the source from http://ijg.org and compiling it myself and then, instead of
doing a "make install", I just copied the single libjpeg.so.9 binary to
/usr/local/lib64/ and added that path with ldconfig.

It's working now.