If you could make room for only one thing in the main rom, would it be a
tpdd dos, or xmodem?

Remember, tpdd was only one of a few different kinds of disks, it's only a
sort of defacto standard now because of various reasons, probably mostly
because it works over the serial port and the protocol was simple enough to
be reverse engineered and re-implimented by others, making all the
emulators possible.
If I had to choose one thing to go right into the main rom, I think I might
actually go with xmodem or y or zmodem or kermit etc, some standard generic
binary capable serial protocol, rather than tpdd. And rts/cts support in
TELCOM & BASIC.
That's probably the single thing about the 600 that I like. It has xmodem
built in to it's telcom app, and that makes it no problem to recover from
resets any time any where. You can regenerate the utility disk and install
BASIC from scratch with just a serial cable and the downloaded files.

What other things would people say should be in there, after 30 years of
hindsight? How about, rather than some more software baked in, just more,
and more useful hooks? Like how UR2 loads TS-DOS without containing TS-DOS,
or like the few hooks that do exist that the DVI uses, but more and better?

How about... the MFORTH rom with a minimal set of baked-in features, maybe
implemented in forth themselves. Like right now there are a bunch of ML
routines that various utils and BASIC all use, while this would be forth
has all the ml, and everything else just uses forth. And the bulk of apps
and utils would be forth programs in ram and as little as possible in rom.
Use as much of the rom space as possible to make forth itself as good as
possible. And the rom just has enough features baked-in to make it easy to
load the real apps from elsewhere any time.

I guess really I wouldn't want any rom at all except just something tiny
that didn't do anything except load the real "os" from somewhere else, so
you could do that forth idea and then have an updated forth the next year,
but I'm trying to stay within the context of 1983 and Tandy's cost and time
limits.