Thank you for your replies.  I found them in the archives; I'm not sure how
to access the (current) list itself.  I couldn't find a "reply" option on
any of the messages.  I'm also not sure why the JPG picture I attached was
"scrubbed" from my initial message.  As I said, I've got a lot to learn...

But THANK YOU for pointing out the possible problem with the rechargeable
battery.  When I first got the machine, seven days ago, I tried turning it
on; nothing happened.  Then I tried turning it on with a 6 VDC adapter -
again nothing - and finally inserted four fresh AA alkaline batteries.
Eventually it came up.  I knew there was a rechargeable battery that
maintained settings but I would have assumed it merely needed to be
recharged.  I opened the case just now and found that the battery had
indeed corroded its case and possibly leaked onto the circuits adjacent.
I'd show you a picture but I don't know how to post one...

However, this repair, now prioritized, raises some questions of its own.  I
didn't see a wiki on how to make this repair so allow me to ask:

- What do I need to look out for when removing the circuit board?
- Which battery and what voltage for a replacement? 3.6 V?  NiCd? Li?
- What do the gurus recommend for cleaning the traces?

Gonna get right on this.  Thanks again.

-CH-

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>