The offending battery is removed.  I had already removed the AAs and 6 VDC
adapter before opening the case.  I am opting for an 80 mAh NiMh
replacement.  Arcadeshopper is out of stock at the moment but I will find
one through some other avenue.  Good to know the machine can run without
one but at the moment the patient is being prepped for surgery.

Extremely impressed by the depth of knowledge evinced here and by the
projects undertaken to extend the life and usefulness of the "Model T".
Two examples: <http://www.planetnz.com/palmheads/tandy.php> RE: connecting
to the Palm Pilot, and <https://imgur.com/gallery/kS9UD>
RE: Raspberry Pi and color LCD conversion of a Model 100.  Yow!

Thanks again to all who responded.

-CH-

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>