On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 6:56 PM Willard Goosey <goo...@sdc.org> wrote:

> It's basically bufferbloat on the other side. The PC/Mac/whatev recieves
> an XOFF and sticks it in a large recieve buffer and goes on with blasting
> bytes at the M100. By the time it gets around to actually *processing* the
> XOFF it's already overrun the M100's buffer. :-(
>
> Faster serial transfers work best with things like old DOS term programs
> that don't know about 16650 FIFOs. ;-)
>
> I never had any trouble with Procomm under msdos on a 386. Minicom under
> Linux is nothing but trouble!

My experience is the same. I've found it to be Linux specific. That's why
hardware flow control, or inserting some delays is the only way to avoid
overrun.

Also the USB-Serial drivers add some buffering so that's another variable.

Windows doesn't seem to have the problem based on most reports.

I think the fix would be for Linux to read ahead in its buffers for XOFF
character to see if it needs to flow-off.  But I doubt the maintainer will
fix. At some point it was Alan Cox. I don't think there's any way to fix
this outside the kernel.

-- John.