Ubuntu 19.10

gcc 9.2.1

fltk 1.4.0
  actually "git clone https://github.com/fltk/fltk.git";
  And the CMake directions in the middle of here:
  https://github.com/fltk/fltk/blob/master/README.CMake.txt
"
    mkdir build
    cd build
    cmake ..
    make
    sudo make install
"
I didn't supply any of those options shown in that doc, just the steps right here.

You may need to install some things before the fltk build works, and I can't say what those might be, because it depends what you just randomly happen to have installed and what I happened to have already had installed. The main useful thing to know is just that I didn't touch the fltk source at all, and I didn't even give any of the configure or build commands any special commandline flags or set any special environment variables. It was literally just these bare commands above. It means that if fltk doesn't build for you, you *probably* only need to install something indicated by the error message. like "apt install libjpeg-dev" etc, or yum install ... for centos etc. No special tricks or anything.

And the virtualt 1.7 source zip file from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualt/files/Source/v1.7/

Except you would not get that zip unless you wanted to start from that same starting point and add your own changes manually. To get the changes already applied, you could just clone the repo:
  git clone g...@github.com:bkw777/VirtualT.git