Thanks Ken!

I've reset everything on the wired end (including replugging the USB device to
get a nice clean slate) and cold reset again just to see where things lie.
Cold reset then:
Plain TSDOS rom: works as expected
Switch to NEWDOS: hang at the DISK banner
CALL63013,1,1: same story
Switch back to vanilla ROM: works as expected

There's definitely something somewhere in my setup that NEWDOS doesn't like
(although it worked once!) but I'm not clear what it is at this point.