Just an update on how my explorations went today.

First I have to apologize to the group for misleading about the cable.
When I took the covers off the cable I built I was dismayed to find that I
had connected all control signals as indicated in the documentation.  I
remembered that I started out to do just a 3 wire configuration but changed
my mind and did a full pinout.  So I misinformed you.  I do have a cable in
the recommended configuration.

My USB serial cable was producing +/- 6V which is enough to get good TTL
transitions on the Model 100 receivers.  I can't check the receivers in the
USB cable but I have no problem with TX or RX during testing.

I could not get TEENY.EXE to work for me on DOSBOX.  Could be something odd
with my laptop (Dell Windows 10 Pro 64 bit) or USB cable (I don't even know
if there's a brand on it).

I cold started the M100 and executed the TEENY.DO text file download from
Term.  I loaded that file in basic and ran it.  That seemed to work.  I
ended up with a TEENY.CO <http://teeny.co/> file.

I installed LaddieAlpha on my Windows laptop, started it in a Windows
command prompt, and gave it the COM port and the number 6 as command line
parameters.  LaddieAlpha started up fine with no error messages.  But when
I attempted to run TEENY.CO, the Model 100 just beeped and returned to the
menu.  I couldn't get a prompt from TEENY.CO.  Just a beep and back to the
menu.  Maybe something I did wrong.

I cold started the M100 again and installed mComm on my Windows laptop.
Then I installed TEENY.CO following the on-screen instructions from mComm.
After the transfer completed I followed the instructions on the M100 and
started TEENY.CO and it worked!  I tested a few simple file transfers.  All
worked as expected.

I shut down mComm and started LaddieAlpha as I did previously.  I started
TEENY.CO on the M100 and it worked!  I tested a few simple file transfers.
All worked as expected.

It appears that the TEENY client install using mComm got things working for
me.  I don't know why.  But, YEA!

It has been a lot of fun reading the responses to my question.  I am
grateful that all of you took the time to answer back.  Your advice was
right on.  I've learned a lot today.

Sincerely,

Jerry