HI Bill,

Glad you got it sorted in the end. A re-install would be my first direction
too. Typically ioctl gets upset for specific reasons, one of them being
that the initiation script for the PI didn't complete on it's first run,
another would depend on how the serial console was setup.

I'm going to assume a lot from your email, but it sounds like this was
working at home with the M100 but not at work. The only difference would be
you had WiFI connectivity at home is what I'm gathering, so I'm wondering
if you were also SSHing to the Pi from a PC or other device? That would
activate a controlling console (the SSH session) and allow an incorrectly
privileged or configured  to work. So maybe that was it?

I would highly recommend setting up a USB serial port as a getty rather
than letting the configuration scripts place a console on it. That
configuration is OK with the UARTs present on the PI, but they are there
always, the USB devices are added later in the boot so you can get into a
race condition where it doesn't start right.

I do hope it works for you, I have a blast using my M100 at work. I think
my most favorite time was during some required inservices at work. I knew I
was going to be stuck at a table all day so I wanted to have a good toy to
play with. The M100 is somewhat of a legend where I work, since I am the IT
director. I find that using a 30 year old computer as my daily driver and
being in charge of everyone's technology to really bother people, and I
enjoy that. Added bonus, the required inservice was on "Accepting Change".

Brian