From: M100 <m100-boun...@lists.bitchin100.com> On Behalf Of John R. Hogerhuis
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2021 3:02 PM
To: m...@bitchin100.com
Subject: Re: [M100] Recompile multiple BA files

The closest thing to a perfect solution... that just works... is for the disk
service to present the proper extension instead of the incorrect one. That's
what Laddiealpha does. It peeks at beginning of the file to see if it's a
binary file and automatically presents a correct extension to TSDOS. Whether
the user knows how to load that file is a separate concern. But I figure people
will simply ask on list.

Other ways to go:

Do not present the file at all in the directory if a mismatch is detected. The
user will see it as a mystery but they can read their documentation or ask on
list and the mystery will be resolved. Another idea would be to rename it in
some way to be clearly bad like "FILE.><" So it's not just missing.

Present the filename as is. But when at the protocol level the file is opened
or on the first read then an error is returned based on inspection of the file.
TSDOS or whatever will report the error and the user may figure it out or they
will ask on list. I haven't explored this but theoretically it should be
feasible.

Embed a tokenizer in the file server to automatically make the content match
the extension. This won't always work. And it would have to be laptop model
aware since 100 vs NEC tokens.

-- John.