> On May 3, 2022, at 8:20 AM, Cedric Amand <ced...@cedric.net> wrote:
>
> By implementing DMARC records, you know who's trying to send mail "on your
> behalf" and I noticed that in the DMARC reports, this mailing list's server
> was one of them.

This is true for users who control their domain and can manage mail flow as a
result of reports .  The vast majority of users do not: they use large public
services that are highly incentivized to use DMARC records with adkim=s and
asps=s, breaking customary email use cases and offering end users no choice in
the matter of the policy selected by their ESP.

This is orthogonal to SPF failure: any non-broken implementation of SPF uses
the envelope From, which would not interfere with mailing list deliverability.
A message may pass SPF & DKIM, only to be rejected by DMARC because DMARC pins
its mechanism (called "alignment" in the RFC) to the header From:

Long story short is that the world has largely adopted strict DKIM alignment
policies, for good or ill and as a result anyone who sends messages on behalf
of end users has to munge the From: header or face deliverability problems and
sender reputation degradation.