There's no denying that BASIC is an important part of the Model T's overall
system but its operating system?
It is indeed closely tied to the Model T 'kernel' but is nevertheless just
another program in ROM.

No. the MENU is not the OS; it is the GUI interface to the OS, whatever
name you want to give that.

Except for 'KILL' most of what you mention is specific to BASIC; LOAD and
SAVE for example are part of every BASIC and specifically only load BASIC
program files;  if you're using your Model T for writing, communication,
scheduling etc. you will never need those functions. Try LOADing a text
file from BASIC.

Autostart only (re)starts a BASIC program AFAIK.

DATE$ and TIME$ are defined BASIC variables so that's where they are set
and used.

Granted, deleting and renaming files as well as loading machine language
files are done through BASIC, which is why I would consider it a
programming language and a limited file handler.

The point is that, unlike a Commodore system where you cannot do anything
without going through BASIC, you could just create a couple of small
machine language programs to KILL files, set the time and load .CO files,
and completely dispense with the BASIC interpreter.

Everything else needed to load, save, print and edit text files, download
and upload files from outside, maintain your schedule and address book etc.
and run any M/L programs that did not use any BASIC routines would all
still function as before.

A curiosity question: how do other languages, e.g. FORTH, get loaded and
run?