Probably dates back to the days when files that you downloaded from
Compuserve or another user etc. had to all be plain text ASCII because
TELCOM can't handle binary files; I suppose everyone just knew that .DO
stood for documentation and .BA stood for plaintext BASIC programs that had
to be renamed before loading with BASIC or TEXT.