Most VoiP systems don't play very well with old tone-encoded protocols like
modems or FAX machines, but if you have a POTS line or can get it to work
with VoiP then most modems will let you dial out with either TT or pulse
and also answer incoming calls.

FWIW there are cell-phone to 'normal' phone adapters out there; e.g.::
https://www.cell2jack.com/
I've never tried any of mine and I'd be surprised if it worked any better
than 'normal' VoiP, but might be worth trying.