Thanks Runrin,

I was pretty happy with how the Pi Zero version turned out. I've had this
setup in some form or another for several years. The original version of
this was on a larger raspberry pi so I have used USB to serial adapters
without issues. Initially the Zero was run off of a USB to serial adapter
as well until one day I thought I might be able to stuff a MAX232 inside
the tiny case with a bulkhead mount RS323 and it worked. So presently you
can use my Zero on the M100 either via ttyUSB0 or ttyS0. Results are the
same. I do recommend using a FT232RL based converter or an authentic
Prolific PL2303 if you can find it. That way you know you are getting
something with correct voltage levels.

Brian