Hi Eric, forgive me if I'm repeating this message, but I strongly believe your
macbook6,1 can handle either 6 or 8 GB of RAM. IMHO Apple is no different from
many other tech companies in being conservative with their RAM recommendations.
It is often left up to third party vendors to push the boundaries and do some
real world testing so that we, the end-users, can know what the actual limits
are. There is a boatload of documentation on the web regarding the pros and
cons of running various RAM configurations. As usual, I will reference OWC
because they have been around for a very long time specializing in support for
Apple products. The following page lists Mac models and gives Apple's
recommended maximum RAM alongside OWC's tested maximum RAM:
http://eshop.macsales.com/memory/maxram

BTW for those who have a 2011 MBP or Mini, looks like your device probably
supports 16GB.

Now, if they can come up with a way to upgrade RAM in the Macbook Air, that'll
be way cool!

Cheers,
Bryan