Hi Lovette,

David and Sarah are referring to my linked instructions for enabling the "New
TextEdit Window Containing Selection" services menu option, with the option to
assign it a short cut. On the Keyboard Shortcuts pane of System Preferences,
after selecting "Services" in the Shortcuts Category table, you navigate to the
"Keyboard Shortcuts" table to check the services you want to activate.  In this
case you want to check the box for "New TextEdit Window Containing Selection",
so that it will be an available option in your Services menu.  There is also a
column in that table that optionally allows you to associate the checked
services menu option with a keyboard shortcut of your choosing, in addition to
the first column for the check box and the second column that names the
service.  I believe that what Sarah was saying is that sometimes VO+Enter to
select the start of a section in Safari doesn't always work for them even after
interacting.  As I recall, you may not be able to use that if you're on a link.
 I'm not sure whether David was describing difficulties assigning the shortcut
within the table for the service menu option, but that's the only shortcut
field I can identify in the context of this discussion.

My original instructions were for Snow Leopard, but I think they also work
under Lion.  Incidentally, if you are having difficulty finding and selecting
text in Safari, and you have set up this service menu option for "New TextEdit
Window Containing Selection" with a shortcut, you can just use Command-A to
select all in your Safari window, then apply the shortcut for "New TextEdit
Window Containing Selection" that you assigned, and do your find and selection
from TextEdit, which most people find easier.  I don't mean to encourage bad
habits, because you should be able to do your finding and selecting in Safari
with VoiceOver, but this should work for you.

HTH. Cheers,

Esther