Hi Catherine, Esther and others.

Though it can be messy, some times it works out better in the long run.  It was
out of mom's control last Summer, when her ISP literally went away over night.
She ordered her 4S by phone, and the sales rep created a new Apple ID because
eMail communication was the only way that she could agree to the carrier's
contract terms.  So I was tasked with merging the two ids while retaining
access to the apps purchased under the old ID.

What I learned is that Sarah's suggestion should (but does not always) work.
If the change can not be completed via signing out/in under the Store menu in
iTunes, it may be necessary to deactivate the old id  at the itunes site.  If
you have Apple care, they can talk you through it over the phone; I don't
recall the exact procedure, and I suspect that Apple is making this info
difficult to find in Google.  What I recall was signing in with mom's old Apple
ID and then appending text such as a period (.) and a word such as delete,
disable, or remove.  So the prompt would be something like
m...@myisp.com.delete and after entering the password and confirming, its gone.

  The whole process does not take much time and will retain your DRM info from
the old ID, but Iit may be best to call Apple and make sure you do it right.
The other nice thing is that you'll once again get receipts when making
purchases, and receive confirmation of genius bar appointments, etc.

  Best regards.
  Geoff