Below, I've pasted VMWare's brief (four question) FAQ regarding Fusion
compatibility with Mountain Lion. This is copied directly from their blog at:
http://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2012/07/vmware-fusion-and-os-x-mountain-lion-faq.html

Does VMware Fusion 4 work with Mountain Lion?
Yes, the latest version of VMware Fusion 4, version 4.1.3 works with Mountain
Lion and is signed with our Developer ID. This makes VMware Fusion 4.1.3
compatible with Gatekeeper, a feature enabled by default in Mountain Lion.

 What should I do before upgrading to Mountain Lion?
Ensure your copy of VMware Fusion 4 is up-to-date using VMware Fusion > Check
for Updates. VMware Fusion 4.1.3 is the latest available version at the time of
writing.

 I upgraded to Mountain Lion and now VMware Fusion 4 won’t start. What happened?
Mountain Lion appears to detect some older versions of VMware Fusion 4 and
prevent them from launching. To resolve this issue, login to
http://my.vmware.com/ (free product registration required) and download VMware
Fusion 4.1.3. It can be found under “Products & Downloads > All Downloads >
VMware Fusion”

 Does VMware Fusion 3 work with Mountain Lion?
No. VMware Fusion 3 was released in October 2009 and was optimized for Mac OS X
Leopard and Snow Leopard.  VMware Fusion 3 is no longer being updated for newer
versions of Mac OS. Customers wishing to run VMware Fusion on Mountain Lion
should use VMware Fusion 4. A free 30-day trial is available for current VMware
Fusion 3 users. The trial can be found here: http://www.vmware.com/go/tryfusion