Hi Gordon,

You wrote:
> As I understand it, Apple will not allow trials of applications in the App
> Store, hence my response.  If my information is faulty, please accept my
> humble apologies, all.

I think that the precise statement is that Apple does not allow for trial
versions of applications to appear in the Mac App Store, because it does not
allow developers to distribute apps that will suddenly stop working unless the
user pays more money at a later date in the app stores.  Similarly, it does not
allow for special pricing for subsets of users. The dev can choose to lower the
price for everyone for a day or other extended period, and inform previous
customers on his mailing lists or on his web site that he is going to do so,
but he can't give different treatment to selected groups in ways that would
(possibly) allow a fair distribution system to be subverted.

But there's nothing to prevent a developer from offering trial versions of
software at his web site, or from running separate discount promotions or
bundle sales of the same app from his web site. That's one of the reasons I
check the MacUpdate site listing for most apps.  Even though there are
occasional errors, they're usually pointed out in user comments, and links are
supplied to the developer's site so you can find more current information.
(Some developers' web sites aren't laid out as rationally as the MacUpdate
site, so I also appreciate the standard layout that is used.)

HTH.  Cheers,