This is, unfortunately, one of the reasons why I have not been able to move
completely from Windows to a Mac environment. Support from Voiceover here is
frankly dreadful.  As I understand it this is a long running issue which
Apple has failed to fix.

There are various clunky workarounds including using the Numbers spreadsheet
to read your tables, and using service commands to open the table and read
it in Text Edit. I also found that there is sometimes some basic reading
support for Tables in the free Bean Word  Processor.

This is OK for the occasional  table but if you have to seriously handle and
read tables  on a consistent basis with full title and row header reading
support, I do not think there is a viable Mac solution at the moment.  For
example I am currently conducting a disciplinary investigation which
involves  receiving multiple pages of evidence, many of which contain audit
and other data in table format. My only practical way of handling this is to
return to windows.

Safari can handle tables pretty well so I am sure it could be technically
achieved. It is a shame really and is so essential for serious work I cannot
understand why Apple have not addressed this rather than focussing on the
latest visual effect.

David Griffith